Follow me on Twitter!

Friday, October 21, 2011

Things aren’t going my way – Now what?!

Ok so we’re ready to take action on the plan for our goals. You’ve visualized the hot, hot Aussie sun beating down on you while you relax on the beach. You’ve dreamt of immersing yourself in their unique landscapes and wildlife. But out of the blue, disaster strikes!You realize that trip to Australia you are planning to take is going to cost TWICE as much as you thought. How are you ever going to save that much money???

Like anything worth going after, it’s rarely an easy road. You’re bound to encounter bumps and obstacles along the way. One of my favourite pieces of writing is William Ernest Henley’s “Invictus”. What a great reminder to stay motivated. These empowering words make it nearly impossible to be discouraged by an unexpected twist. Henley was a British poet, critic and editor – best remembered for this very poem he penned in 1875:

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

 In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.



Things to remember as you’re working towards your goals
  • Even slow progress is better than no progress
  • Be flexible and willing to adapt
  • When you get discouraged, write it down. Separate the things that are within your realm of control, take steps towards removing the barriers, and forget the rest. 
 
 
 You deserve the best - Don’t give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment